Saturday, October 23, 2010

Poem #10--Darkened Paths

Darkened Paths

I was once a man of great pomposity,
Known for blatant, frank ferocity,
Who, compelled by curiosity,
Headed on my way.

To achieve my fame, and fortune, too,
I deserted everything that I knew,
And, leaving behind all that was true,
I traveled forth that day.

The paths were long, and often dark,
The light was oft less than a spark.
I began to wonder why I did embark
On this journey of the soul.

My coat was ripped by clinging thorns,
My shoes were wet, my pants were torn.
I began to grow ever more forlorn
As I lost sight of my goal.

And then I reached the final straw,
Upon my drive I could no longer draw,
As I was swallowed by the wood’s great maw
And plunged into despair.

All alone, and filled with fear,
Surrounded by nothing that I held dear,
Anguish became an icy spear,
Driven through my heart.

To trembling knees, I then did sink,
As all was lost, so I did think,
I found myself right on the brink
Of succumbing to the dark.

But then, to my extreme surprise,
A spectacle unfolded before my eyes:
A hidden path lost its disguise,
And like a light did shine.

A flowing strength did fill me then,
And I looked back to where I’d been,
And then looked on, then back again,
Down the paths of time.

And finally, I understood,
Why I had entered into this wood:
It had been for my own good,
This truth did I discern.

I got back up, and looked ahead,
I was not done, my will not dead,
I took a step, and, grinning, said:
“My lesson I have learned.”

So now, my friends, this you must hear:
When light is gone, and darkness near,
Do not give up, or in to fear,
Instead, just choose the right,

And you’ll become an honest soul,
Humble, happy, you’ll reach your goals.
For darkened paths play a vital role:
They lead you to the light.

--Karl Southwick

Life can be viewed as a series of paths that are followed through a massive, ever-changing wood. Sometimes, the paths are clearly lighted and therefore easy to follow. However, there are times when shadows are cast on the paths, and we begin to lose sight of them. These shadows symbolize trials and hardships. Sometimes in life, when we are met with such difficult challenges, we begin to lose sight of the path we've been following, we begin to lose sight of our ultimate destination. We are then met with a choice: we can give up and quit moving forward, or we can continue on the path, knowing that it will become light again. All things are so. Darkness always gives way to light in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment